DIY Fire Suppression System

< Back

With my engine out for winter of 2012 for upgrades (along with pretty much everything else), i thought it would be a good time to build my own fire suppression system. 

Nothing too fancy, just a rechargeable chemical retardant that is triggered from the drivers seat that sprays the engine (mostly the carbs)

So, i went to the store and bought a nice quality metal, rechargeable fire extinguisher that had a screw on nozzle. $32

then to the fastener shop (where i bought my air suspension fittings / lines / etc). to pick up:

  • adapters
  • a PTC (push to connect) Y
  • two PTC males
  • brass bulkhead fittings
  • misc brass adapters
  • 14' of 1/4 high pressure flexible line

all this stuff: $44

bike cable: $4

bill so far: $80

 

i just came back from the garage and assembled the spray nozzles.  i used brass end caps and drilled in three 4mm holes at 30 degrees with a spread of ~80 wide.  then i chamfered the holes to get a cone-shape spray.

essentially, this should spray the crap out of my carbs.

i used the trusted blow-through it with your hand to feel the spray direction and it passed the test.

i am going to do a dry run once it's installed (with no engine and a tarp on the floor), so if i got the spray pattern wrong, i'll just buy new $.50 brass caps and do it again.

i am going to mount the fire extinguisher under the drivers door sill (mounted to the metal frame held on to the mount with two HD hose clamps.  oh ya - the awesome bike brake cable to activate the FE - picked one of those up too.

then i plan to put the pull '**** there is smoke coming from back there' handle below the rear hood release.  i am going to use some sort of quick release cotter pin to stop accidental triggers.

i plan to trim the FE handle so it doesn't get in the way (see the black electricians tape?)





i also picked up another rechargeable fire extinguisher (big 6lb-er).  I'm going to test with that and then empty it and use it as another air reservoir for my air suspension 

 

i am going to place an order with CIP for some more stuff, but the handle i am going to use is this one:

 


i am going to use the fire extinguisher red "cotter pin" to prevent accidental discharge.

 

Now - all i need is time.

 

This is a class B/C electrical and flammable petroleum products chemical spray.  messy, yes.  effective, yes.



Update: got it working!

i bought another bottle to test with (and once empty, i will use as an additional air reservoir for my suspension).

 

masked off the engine bay and deck lid (i had no idea what this would do when i pulled the trigger)

 

 

in action:



i'm happy with the nozzles i made (angle / volume)

so, aside from mounting the bottle - i picked up a handle and will fab up the rest of the emergency pull.  FYI - it is very easy to squeeze the bottle.




mounted the extinguisher last night after cutting the lower handle and installing a spring.  i tested my cable setup a few weeks ago and noticed a bit more resistance in the cable than i was expecting, so i added a fairly weak return spring.  it's held in place by the cable.

 

i also picked up some stainless T-bolt clamps instead of the crappy ones shown in the picture. (i don't want this falling off)

 

 
 
 

replaced the hose clamps with the $6 ones

 

tapped the release handle with some metric thread and lock-tighted the bolt on (after i cut the head off of the 50mm bolt and drilled a small hole in the end)

 

sanded and prepped for paint.  painted three times with vintage ivory (yayyy i love the chemical bubbling reaction from the two kinds of paint.  i was clear coating the handle and then i looked at what kind of paint it was.  d'oh.  start over.  good thing i have 4877 projects on the go and i don't have to wait for wet paint.)

 

here it is being test fit along with the sleeve.  i wanted a tight fit/look.  i'll see if i can grab a shot of it done.  looks purdy all painted with safety pin.

 

 

anyway...

 

drilled the threaded bolt (sans head) and sleeve for safely pin.  fancy dipped-in-a-can-of-red-paint-red (fitting colour name):

 

the fabbed up three different adjustable cable setups.  this is the one i went with.  simple. strong and adjustable.

 

FYI - i drilled out the middle of an allan head bolt and threaded a piece of metal i had laying around. 

 

simple cable crimp-thingy to hold it tight, and done.

 

that's it.

 

here it is after cable tension adjustment

 

hopefully i never have to use it, but if i do, i know it works.

 

 

painted that nice gloss red